Poll New Borealis Rubber Size 20mm or 24mm version

Which should be the next size to be developed for the Borealis Rubber Strap

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
We are planning on making a new Borealis Rubber strap. Size will either be 20mm or 24mm version.

Please vote which one should be made at this stage.

SickOnDivers

Apprentice WIS
The NEW Borealis 22mm black rubber strap is arguably the most comfortable ladder ( ISO Style) rubber strap out there. Including authentic Isofrane....and I have owned them ALL. Cuda, Isofrane, Orbis Morgan.

The bottom line is that Isofrane is the gold standard, but in my opinion the NEW Borealis is more comfortable. Many of the people that review rubber straps or post comments either good or bad actually have never owned Isofrane straps. I've owned 20mm, 22mm, 24mm Isofrane. I buy Isofrane because it is a sure bet.

What happened is that I recently purchased a Silver/White Sea Dragon from Borealis. I ordered an extra strap, thinking 'OK it will probably be crap like the original Borealis rubber strap ( awful ) but I'm not sure if I'll actually like the Sea Dragon...So, rather than spend 109.00 on another Isofrane 22mm black, I'll roll the dice on the New Vulcanized Borealis'
Wow. I couldn't believe how well done the new Borealis 22mm rubber was. Seriously. And I'm picky. And I know rubber straps.

Intellectually, I knew that Isofrane was better yet the New Borealis won me over.....It was hard to reconcile. How can this be?

I believe part of it is the fact that the Borealis is thinner than the Isofrane. It is clearly as pliable, which in and of itself is an accomplishment. The problem with ALL the 'isofrane wanna be' straps is pliability. The cheap straps feel bad because they don't bend right. What Borealis did was some how figure out the correct recipe for pliability but also went THINNER. Not too thin....just a little. But by going thinner w/ Isofrane pliability , they inadvertently stepped into new territory.

What happens now when you compare Isofrane straight up to NEW Borealis rubber , Isofrane feels just a bit BULKY. Which of course has never occurred before. No one had ever produced a rubber strap that could pass the pliability stage vs Isofrane So, Isofrane ALWAYS felt better. But once again, by going slightly thinner w/ the same pliability, Borealis is actually challenging the All Mighty Isofrane

This 22mm IS the best rubber strap out there , but the 3 week shipping time is unacceptable for any real measurable market share success in the U.S.

In the meantime, I suppose I vote 24mm but the reality is that this strap is so well done, it should be available in 20mm, 22mm, 24mm and a second color ( Orange)
The problem for Borealis is going to be working capitol for straps. Watches yes. Straps...not so much. Initial production is expensive. Not sure of minimum piece ordering number but it's gonna be up there and that will limit Color, Size options
Also, The screw down buckle is terrific.....Unfortunately the Borealis logo is WAY too big

Lastly, I mentioned early on that I purchased the extra strap because I was not comfortable with purchasing a new Isofrane for the unproven, sight unseen Borealis Sea Dragon. The Sea Dragon absolutely exceeded my expectations .....I just ordered a second one in 'Orange' .

The Borealis Sea Dragon, with it's detailed aesthetic & miyota movement make it arguably the 'Best Buy ' out there in the affordable watch sector.

-R

Last edited:

Pakz

Patriarch WIS
I'm hesitating so much....
Can't we have both 20 and 24mm? I have number of divers that are 24mm, a number (arguably a smaller number but I already have a few gen Isofranes in 24mm) that are 20mm. So what gives???

Well, by the tiniest of margins, that'll be 20mm for me... but I'm all in for a 24 too!

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
We will have all sizes in long run but we have no cash flow for both at same time.

Our profit per strap is quite low and MOQ from factory are over 3000 straps for each new mould.

From a purely financial efficiency viewpoint, there are far, far more 20mm watches out there than there are 24mm ones.

These straps are very viable on sport / outdoor watches, not just divers.

Mrdolip

Master Apprentice WIS
Hi everyone,
What kind of rubber strap would it be? Isofrane like? tropic like? Personally I would be really interested in an affordable tropic like rubber strap in 20 mm that could go along with the Estoril 300. But I'm not sure that's the point here!

I love the new formula vulcanized rubber straps - Borealis definitely has a winner here - great value on these. I picked up two of the 22mm black awhile back, and SickOnDivers has a great review above noting how comfortable and well made these are. I have 2 Estorils on pre-order - these will be my only 20mm lug watches. I have in my collection at least 12 that have 24mm lugs, so I voted 24mm.

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Design is same of our 22mm version.

A tropical strap can be made but there must be a market.

We are running with low markups on all our products (though sometimes being told we take advantage of customers) so we have no cash flow to make all we would like and a good management of life cycles has to be made.

Mrdolip

Master Apprentice WIS
Thanks for the answer Maria! I understand your point of view. Let's hope some customers will be interested in such a product in the future ...

My vote is for 24 mm ,have various rubber straps made by Indie dive watch companies like Helson, Armida, Zenton, StevRal,Obris Morgan and several Isofrane's,good luck on your venture with these and hope they really take off to help with other options in the future.

Joel

Master Apprentice WIS
I voted 24mm simply because I have lots of watches that take a 24mm strap, whereas only a few dress pieces that take a 20mm.

Neil Stewart

Apprentice WIS
I voted 20 because of would like a 300 and I don't care for NATO straps when I swim. I second the motion to get them tapered that may drive new saleshoes on the WIS community.

AVS_Racing

Master Apprentice WIS
Can we get an colour option? Orange? I have way too many black Iso or Real Iso Style straps already. I mean Armida, Helson, Maranez all throw in black straps with their watches, I need a different colour

Slider63

Apprentice WIS
20mm for the Estoril 300!
It would be great to have multiple color options: Black, Royal Blue, Orange, Grey and Aqua Blue

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Can we get an colour option? Orange? I have way too many black Iso or Real Iso Style straps already. I mean Armida, Helson, Maranez all throw in black straps with their watches, I need a different colour
We will develop new colors too but no cash flow to make all at once.

KlausS98

Apprentice WIS
Bought 22mm ones to fit some 20mm divers, worked like a charm .. now voting for 24mm ... puleeze ;)