STP Watch Movement Manufacture STP1-11

SimpleWatchMan

Master WIS
Maria, I say go for it.

As long as it is reliable (copy of proven 2842 design), easy to service (your local watchsmith know how to do it), low in cost (below $100), faster delivery (less than 3 months), what not to like about this STP movement?

CHANT

WIS
Another plus with the STP 1-11 calibre is that it is much better finished than any Miyota movements that I have seen so far.

CHANT

Last edited:

Homme

Master Apprentice WIS
Since it's priced similar to Miyota with no long lead time, I say go for it! And it's Swiss!

Slider63

Apprentice WIS
Maria,
I say, Go for It!
Everything sounds positive, and time will be the judge of reliability under real world conditions. If the Power Reserve is deliver consistency through the power range and the accuracy is there it should be a welcome addition to offer in your timepieces.

I Googled reviews of the STP 1-11 watch movement, and several articles talked matter-of-factly about STP movements being made by Fossil, in their new Swiss factory.. In particular Worn and Wound discussed reissues of Zodiac Astrophysic and Sea Wolf models with the STP 1-11 movement in them.
My immediate reaction was "What the Hey"? Isn't Fossil part of the clique that strangled ETA? In any event, none of the other Threads mentions anything about STP being owned by Fossil, so I thought I'd mention it before we all get carried away with the prospect of a new movement.

As an update to my earlier post, I realize that I got Fossil mixed up with Swatch. After further research, it appears that Fossil, a Texas company, does now own STP, and STP movements are appearing in Fossil brands Fossil Swiss, Burberry, and Zodiac so far, and it also sells STP movements to 3rd party watch makers like Roamer.
Their stated main goal is to sell Swiss branded watches in Asia, and not to be a large scale producer of watch movements for 3rd parties. None of this is necessarily bad, of course, although Fossil (and Swatch) tend to say "fashion brand" to me.

Director65

Master Apprentice WIS
After looking at their website and reading a few forum comments from other places, it sounds like an excellent alternative. The company has continued to improve and grow and they now offer a number of movement types. It would be a "go" for me!! Good luck!!

phlabrooy

Master WIS
I read somewhere that Miyota produce about 30,000 to 40,000 movements of the 9015 per month, and still cannot meet the demand !
After the recent 30% to 40% price increase, you state that another price increase is coming before the end of the year ? Man, they really are trying to shoot themselves in the foot !!!
Yes, I read that the STP movement is produced by Fossil somewhere, too.
How can they manage to keep their prices so low ?
Whatever, I say give it a try, Maria, as it does sound good, specs wise.
Perhaps you should have tried them out in the Bull Shark !

Regards,

Itsonlytime

Master WIS
The STP auto movement sounds fine, I would totally buy one of your future offerings that utilized it. I have only heard limited good comments so far about it. I know the new Swiss Legend Abyssos model uses it, and all comments that I have read so far have been positive, so I say go for it, and thanks for looking ahead.

mlankton

Master Apprentice WIS
I have no reservations about the STP. Out of curiousity, how much are the SW200s compared to the STP and 9015? I have an Alpina with an SW200 based movement, and it keeps excellent time.

mlankton

Master Apprentice WIS
I don't get it. People are dying to spend money on micro brand watches, and supply of adequate movements is a real problem. Lots of sales not realized. Seiko movements aren't an option for me, once I had a high beat I could never go back to the jerky sweep of a low beat seconds hand. That also rules out anything from Orient.

Sellita probably sells for ETA money, driving prices up to Swiss levels. For a watch I wanted the extra expense wouldn't deter me, and I love the one SW200 powered watch I have. That leaves Miyota, who needs to realize there is a bigger demand for the 9015 and they need to increase production; the STP, which I think is a great option provided the movements perform in the real world; or some Chinese movement. I am fine with that option as well, as long as the movement is well made and robust.

awasson5

Perfect Apprentice WIS
Coming in late to the thread but I would not be be at all hesitant to pick up a piece with an STP movement.

I have no personal experience with them but based on specs shown, I see no downside.

phlabrooy

Master WIS
The Cascais could be one featuring it depending on demand.
Yes, I read the review on the STP1-11 by the Watchguy, and it looks and sounds really great !

If that movement is good enough for the Zodiac Heritage Sea Wolf and Super Sea Wolf divers, it is definitely a fantastic choice for any Borealis watch.

The Cascais could be a great start .... pity not the Bull Shark !!!

Regards,

mleok

Perfect Apprentice WIS
I too am aware that STP is currently owned by Fossil, and I have no issue with Borealis using it in their watches.

Watchingout

Apprentice WIS
I'm new to this party, and joined when I recently learned about the Cascais. I love the look and have been very interested in reviewing the progress to date. I was glad to see the Cascais would be utilizing this movement. I have a few variations of the Swiss Legend Abyssos that use this movement, and find it to be accurate and smooth running.