Pre-Order Borealis Estoril 300m Automatic

Watchulookin@

Master Apprentice WIS
This is going to be a nice watch, personally I can stand the date at 3 but like the symmetry of a date at 6 (retaining the numerals at 3 and 9); don't think there's room for a numeral next to the date as well, that said asymmetry adds a touch of character. The rest of the specs look great. The bezel side profile is very interesting and vintage/modern combination is tasteful. Any word on lug to lug (48mm on the original according to google)?

phlabrooy

Master WIS
#Pakz's wrist shot picture of that SM300 is really fantastic !

So will you replace the 3 in the 30 at 6, with similar font as the 3 on the dial ? Would somehow look better, IMHO ....
And how about dropping the "m" in 300m ? Just have Estoril 300 ?
Great that there will be a choice of date/no date ......
Really getting excited about this one, now !

Regards,

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
The Estoril 300 dial is to be matte.

As for the 30 in bezel the SM300 had 2 different bezel fonts as you can see from Pakz photos and the ones I have shared.
10983617_445988832221427_159904314_n.jpg
AWL-196 (2).jpg

Jesús

Master Apprentice WIS
The SM300 has been present in all of my "wet dreams watches".;)
I will be very vigilant in this new project.
Thank you!!

mleok

Perfect Apprentice WIS
I have a Watchco Seamaster 300, but I would definitely be interested in a Borealis homage that uses a domed sapphire crystal and sapphire bezel. Definitely go with a 9015 movement, and offer it in both date and no date versions, and offer the possibility of ordering it without a bracelet.

Last edited:

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Idea is to offer watch without bracelet. What we can offer is a mesh. If we make a bracelet for this watch prices will increase considerably as currently there are no market parts that can be used for it. Developing a bracelet from ground up is very very expensive, that is why we are considering to offer a mesh bracelet to the ones interested in an upgrade.

jinikari01

Perfect Apprentice WIS
Maria, I dig that this watch will sell without bracelet in order to keep the sell cost at minimum. Very thoughtful and innovative marketing plan IMO. Let your consumers decide which bracelet is right for Estoril 300m at their control. Awesome!

gortz

Master Apprentice WIS
Awesome, i am in!
For me 41,5mm/20mm lugs is perfect.
Lug-to-lug max 49mm
Drilled lugs
No date

Watchulookin@

Master Apprentice WIS
Maybe too far from the homage but white surround on the hands would complement the matte dial and printed indeces more than polished.

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Will the lume be better than the Seadragon lume?
There is nothing wrong with the Sea Dragon lume. A bit hard to explain but lume intensity with rest constant depends on 3 factors:

• grain size of lume (the smaller the better and the more expensive)
  • lume area (the larger area the more intense)
  • lume thickness (the higher the thickness the more intense)
Both grain size of lume of the Sea Dragon and the Estoril 300 are the same. However due to different design area and thickness will increase considerably resulting on a stronger glow in darkness.

In the end lume intensity depends on design of watch and for some designs it is very difficult to improve intensity.

Something all should consider is that 100 grams of BGW9 from RC Tritec cost about $5000 USD. Just in lume powder each watch depending on design uses from 0.10-0.9 grams so you can see how expensive this can become.

Currently a gram of gold sells for about $37.00 USD so you can see how more expensive lume is compared to such precious metal.

jason solis

Master Apprentice WIS
Please do not border with a bracelet on a SM300 homage piece to keep the cost down. As most future owners would probably wear theirs on either a high-quality divers rubber/silicon band or a two-tone NATO/Zulu band. Why not supply both NATO and rubber bands! Just a thought!

Anyone care to chime in on what bands would pair well with a SM homage diver?!

I am so looking forward to see more rendering in the near future.......

CHANT
I agree big time...no bracelet needed. I would package it with a rubber and nato strap. As the proliferation of isofrane-style straps is getting to be a bit much. I would go with a Tropic-style strap without question. This is an exciting project.

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I agree big time...no bracelet needed. I would package it with a rubber and nato strap. As the proliferation of isofrane-style straps is getting to be a bit much. I would go with a Tropic-style strap without question. This is an exciting project.
We have already replied a few posts back that a tropic strap is not possible. To develop a brand new one costs are over $15000 USD. However we may be able to work on a 20mm iso style with premium vulcanic rubber. This will very much depend on a future launch of a 22mm premium vulcanized rubber we are working on.

Mrdolip

Master Apprentice WIS
Yes, going to be fully lumed in bezel as for the dial do you think it is needed to have numerals lumed as well?
I think it would be nice to also have numerals lumed as well.
Do you intend to only have a vintage lume or other options will be available? BGW9 for instance look nice on the SEAHAWK.
Concerning the bracelet, the original watch looks very nice on mesh bracelet. IMO it would be a nice option

Borealis Watch Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Lumed numbers will not be an easy task as many would complain on intensity of lume on numbers not to be the same as the markers.

The triangle and hour/minute markers can be made quite thick. As for numbers not as easy and would increase a lot scraping of dials during production.

Remember that project is to pay homage to the original SM300 from the 1960s.

jason solis

Master Apprentice WIS
As for the bezel side view we will make it as close as possible to the vintage Omega SM300 reference166.024
View attachment 468
Photo is from my husbands watch. As for crystal will have a slightly distinct look as instead of acrylic we will use double domed sapphire.

Also for lugs we will feature drilled lugs making it easier with strap changes.
Pure heaven. You produce something a close to this as you can with drilled lugs and the size you have committed to and you are going to have a beautiful watch here. I love the fact that you are keeping to black (and possibly blue) faces. Although many like the variety in colors my personal opinion is that doing so lends to a "mall-ish" quality to watch projects and certainly not meant for a piece that's paying homage to a mega-classic watch.

jason solis

Master Apprentice WIS
I dont care about date or no date. Both would look good to me. As for the lume, cant you still use BGW9 and add a little pigment or dye to get that vintage look? Although, I'd actually prefer no vintage lume and just thick layers of BGW9 for some serious blue lume on there or even C3 for bright bright yellow/green lume. (would be cool to get tritium like the vintage watches but no one works with that anymore).

As for straps, any possibility for a clone of the old tropic straps and maybe a bond nato or if cheap enough a selection of natos
EXACTLY RANI!